Skills, also known as powers, are character abilities in Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no restrictions on what skills a player can choose. Enemies have specific strengths and weaknesses and the strategic use of different skills will determine the tactical advantage against opponents.
Types of skills
Skill types break down into three main color coded categories: Combat (Red), Tech (Orange), and Biotics (Violet). Each category type has its own set of active () and passive () skills. Each is designed to facilitate a certain style of play.
- Combat - For players who want to focus on weapons, gear, and efficiency in battle. These skills focus on improving weapon damage and accuracy, as well as enabling the use of flak cannons, grenades, trip mines, and more.
- Tech - For players who want to equip their Pathfinder with more experimental weaponry, or focus on strategic improvements for their character and the squad. The Cryo Beam and Flamethrower offer more offensive punch, while skills like Invasion and Energy Drain weaken opponents and soften them up for easier take-downs. If additional firepower is needed, players can deploy their very own assault turret.
- Biotics - For players who want to control dark energy to manipulate the power of mass and gravity. Biotic skills like Pull and Throw allow players to literally control the battlefield, using their enemies as shields or even weapons. Abilities like Annihilation and Singularity, for example, will damage anything or anyone caught up in their powerful grip.
Each skill has a skill tree that can be unlocked using skill points, allowing the skill to become more effective.
- There are a total of six ranks in a skill tree. The first three are pre-determined while the last three will have two options.
- Each skill rank costs skill points to upgrade. Rank 1 costs one skill point, Rank 2 costs two skill points, and so on up to Rank 6.
- 21 total skill points are required to completely fill a skill tree.
- 756 skill points are required to completely fill all skill trees.
- At Level 133, Ryder will have accumulated 758 skill points which is enough skill points completely fill all skill trees (without bonus skill points).
- Bonus skill points can be acquired during gameplay from:
- Skill points are awarded in different amounts based upon Ryder's current level.
|Cumulative Skill Points|
|1||1||1 (Level 1)|
|2 - 3||3||7 (Level 3)|
|4 - 10||4||35 (Level 10)|
|11 - 25||5||110 (Level 25)|
|26+||6||758 (Level 133)|
- Above Level 81 (where all Tier X items become available), gaining skill points is the only benefit of continuing to raise levels. It should be noted though, that as Ryder increases in level, enemies scale with Ryder.
- After Level 133, no additional skill points or benefits are gained. Technically there is no level cap but Level 133 can be considered the unofficial level cap.
Squadmate skill sets are fixed, character-specific, and consist of 3 active and 2 passive skills using a mix of the standard 36 skills available from single-player gameplay as well as a few skills shared with multiplayer gameplay. (See: Multiplayer Skills)
The first reset costs 20 credits and the price increases for each subsequent use.
Resetting skill points also resets all profiles except the corresponding profile chosen during Character customization, which returns to Rank 1. Further ranks and all of the other previously attained profiles will need to be unlocked again by spending skill points.
Certain skills consume power cells when used. Replenish power cells at a supply box.
- Mass Effect: Andromeda Skills and Profiles Guide on Gamepedia